Fluent in Fag

Monday, July 31, 2006

I gay love you. Will you gay marry me?

Saw a link on towleroad to this article in the Australian Daily Telegraph.

The headline is "David Wants Gay Wedding". David is one of the contestants on Big Brother, a popular reality TV show here (there's a U.S. version too, I think, but it's not as popular) where contestants live in a house and have to do weird tasks, and each week Australian viewers get to vote one or more of them out of the house.

A few things about the article got my attention.

First, of course, it's another article about marriage, so yeah.

Second, check out this paragraph:
Next to the gay love he received from [his partner] Sherif, the former model said he was also overwhelmed by his father's uncharacteristic displays of affection.


The "gay love"? What is with certain editors/journalists just tacking "gay" on as an adjective to all manner of inappropriate things? It isn't really a huge deal, it just gets on my gay nerves. I guess if I were feeling especially intellectural today, I could hypothesize that this penchant for gay-as-adjective reflects an essentialist idea of sexuality, that gay men are inherently different, and extend the taint of our difference to everything we do and touch.

But I'm not feeling that intellectural, so let's move on to the "whoa" bit of the article:
While David's mother and three sisters were aware of his homosexuality, his conservative father - also a Queensland farmer - discovered his son's secret by watching the reality series.


So how did you come out to your father?
On national TV! While I was locked in a house where he couldn't contact me for several months!

It's wrong, but kinda hot. Oh wait no, it's just wrong. David is pretty hot, though. But I'm just saying that because he's a gay farmer.

Also, I have to admit I got a little misty at the mention of "uncharacteristic displays of affection", especially in light of this:
"In one evening being with him as a gay man I got more love than 26 years of being a straight son,'' David said.

Who doesn't love a good story about emotionally distant men eventually cracking and revealing their feelings? Hell, that description just about covers the major theme of several genres of film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home